Now is the season for making delicious homemade soups, like this wholesome Borlotti bean and prosciutto soup.
The ingredient of Borlotti bean and prosciutto soup
- 1 cup (200g) dried borlotti beans (see note)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 prosciutto slices, finely chopped
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 green zucchini, trimmed, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry sherry
- 8 cups (2 litres) Massel chicken style liquid stock or vegetable liquid stock
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup finely shredded basil, to serve
- Finely grated parmesan, to serve
The instruction how to make Borlotti bean and prosciutto soup
- Place the beans in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside, covered, overnight to soak. Drain well.
- Place the beans in a large saucepan and cover with plenty of water. Place over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the prosciutto, onion, celery, zucchini, carrot and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add the sherry and bring to the boil. Add the stock and tomato and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until soup thickens slightly. Add the beans and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Taste and season soup with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup among serving bowls. Top with basil and parmesan. Serve immediately with rosemary and sea salt flatbreads.
Nutritions of Borlotti bean and prosciutto soupfatContent: 171.602 calories
saturatedFatContent: 8 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 2 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 11 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 4 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 8 grams protein