This simple Spanish chicken and rice dish is a colourful and flavoursome main. Serve it straight from the skillet at your next dinner party.
The ingredient of Spanish chicken and rice
- 750g chicken thigh cutlets, cut each piece in half along the bone
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 150g chorizo, cut into thin rounds
- 1 onion, peeled, halved and sliced crossways
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 long red capsicums, sliced lengthways, seeds removed and sliced crossways
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Pinch saffron strands
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 800 ml Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 2 cups white or brown rice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
The instruction how to make Spanish chicken and rice
- Place the chicken pieces in a zip lock bag with the flour, season with salt and pepper. Seal the bag and shake to coat the chicken pieces evenly. Shake off any excess flour.
- Heat the olive oil in a 30cm large heavy based saucepan over a high heat. Cook the chicken pieces skin side down for 2u20133 minutes or until golden brown. Turn the chicken and cook the other side for 1 minute. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium, cook the chorizo sausage over the heat for 2-3 minutes or until crisp. Transfer the chorizo to a plate. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of oil from the pan.
- Cook the onion, garlic and capsicum in the reserved oil for 3 minutes or until it softens. Add the bay leaves, paprika and saffron stir over the heat. Add the tomatoes and chicken stock, cover and bring to the boil.
- Add the rice, simmer uncovered for 8 minutes. Add the chicken and chorizo and season to taste. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat, add the peas, cover and set aside to steam in its own heat for 10 minutes
Nutritions of Spanish chicken and ricefatContent: