Quick and easy, this traditional crumbed chicken will have everyone licking their fingers and coming back for more.
The ingredient of Buttermilk fried chicken
- 8 (about 1.25kg) mixed chicken pieces (such as thigh cutlets, wings, drumsticks)
- 1 x 600ml ctn Dairy Farmers buttermilk
- 300g (2 cups) plain flour
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- 2 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups finely shredded red cabbage
- 2 large carrots, peeled, coarsely grated
- 4 green shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced diagonally
- 85g (1/2 cup) good-quality whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
The instruction how to make Buttermilk fried chicken
- Arrange the chicken in a single layer in a large glass or ceramic dish. Pour over the buttermilk and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge, turning once, for 6 hours or overnight to develop the flavours.
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Place the flour in a large shallow dish. Season with salt and pepper. Add enough oil to a large saucepan to reach a depth of 5cm. Heat to 170u00b0C over medium-high heat (when the oil is ready a cube of bread will turn golden brown in 20 seconds).
- Drain the chicken. Add to the flour mixture and turn to evenly coat. Shake off any excess. Add half the chicken to the oil and cook, turning occasionally, for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Use tongs to transfer to a tray lined with paper towel. Place in oven to keep warm. Reheat oil and repeat with remaining chicken.
- To make the coleslaw, combine the green and red cabbage, carrot and green shallot in a large bowl. Whisk the mayonnaise, mustard and lemon juice in a small bowl until well combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Add to the cabbage mixture and gently toss until well combined.
- Divide the chicken among serving plates and serve with the coleslaw.
Nutritions of Buttermilk fried chickenfatContent: