Get to know Chinese spices, then make this superb chicken classic from the Far East.
The ingredient of Twice-cooked Asian chicken
- 3 green onions
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled, bruised
- 6cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, sliced
- 3 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup Chinese rice wine (see note)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1.6kg whole chicken
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- Steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- Asian greens, to serve
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon Changu2019s sesame oil
The instruction how to make Twice-cooked Asian chicken
- Preheat oven to 200u00b0C/180u00b0C fan-forced. Cut 2 onions into 5cm lengths. Combine garlic, ginger, star anise, cinnamon, chopped onion, rice wine, soy sauce and 3 litres cold water in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Rinse chicken (including cavity) under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towel. Carefully lower chicken, breast side down, into pan, ensuring chicken is completely submerged. Cook for 40 minutes or until chicken has turned white. Transfer to a roasting pan, breast side up. Pat dry with paper towel. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, make marinade Combine hoisin sauce, honey, five spice, soy sauce, chilli and sesame oil in a bowl. Reserve 1 tablespoon mixture.
- Brush chicken with marinade. Roast for 20 minutes or until browned. Remove from oven. Add reserved cooking liquid to pan. Brush chicken with remaining marinade. Rotate pan. Cook for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and skin dark brown. Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil. Set aside to rest for 10 minutes.
- Thinly slice remaining onion. Cut chicken into portions. Sprinkle with onion and chilli. Serve with rice, greens and pan juices.
Nutritions of Twice-cooked Asian chickenfatContent: 492.34 calories
saturatedFatContent: 10 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 3 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 38 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 11 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 59 grams protein
sodiumContent: 188 milligrams cholesterol