Lime and fish sauce dressing gives authentic flavour to this Asian style chicken salad.
The ingredient of Coconut chicken salad
- 2 single chicken breast fillets, trimmed
- 250mls (1 cup) coconut milk
- 1 lemon grass stalk, pale section only, roughly chopped
- 2 small fresh red chillies, halved, deseeded
- Peanut oil or vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 200g French shallots, peeled, thinly sliced
- Chinese cabbage
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, halved lengthways, deseeded, thinly sliced
- red capsicum, halved, deseeded, thinly sliced
- 50g bean sprouts
- bunch fresh coriander, leaves picked from stems
- 100g (2/3 cup) roasted peanuts
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Ground black pepper, to taste
The instruction how to make Coconut chicken salad
- Place the chicken fillets, coconut milk, lemon grass and chillies into a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover saucepan with a lid, and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn the chicken fillets over and simmer for a further 2 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and cool the chicken in the coconut milk.
- Meanwhile, pour enough peanut or vegetable oil into a small saucepan to fill by 1/3. Heat the oil over medium heat until hot and deep-fry the sliced French shallots until golden. Drain on paper towel. Allow the oil to cool and then strain. Reserve 100mls of oil to make the lime dressing.
- Meanwhile, remove the thick, dark outside leaves and inside core from the Chinese cabbage. Shred the cabbage. Combine the cabbage, cucumber, capsicum, bean sprouts, coriander leaves and peanuts in a large bowl.
- To make the lime dressing, whisk together the reserved peanut or vegetable oil, lime juice and fish sauce. Season with pepper.
- Toss the dressing through the salad and then transfer to a serving bowl. Thinly slice the cooled chicken across the grain and arrange over the salad. Sprinkle with the crisp French shallots and serve immediately.
Nutritions of Coconut chicken saladfatContent: 421.596 calories
saturatedFatContent: 25 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 12 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 9 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 6 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 35 grams protein
sodiumContent: 59 milligrams cholesterol