Spread the word to your near and dear - this roasted classic makes for easy entertaining.
The ingredient of Tarragon and lemon roast chicken
- 20g butter
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 1/2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2kg whole chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5kg sebago potatoes, scrubbed, quartered
- 2 cups Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
The instruction how to make Tarragon and lemon roast chicken
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C/160u00b0C fan-forced. Place a lightly greased wire rack into a roasting pan.
- Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened. Transfer to a bowl. Cool slightly. Add lemon rind, tarragon and breadcrumbs to onion. Mix to combine.
- Rinse chicken (including cavity) under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towel. Trim excess fat. Gently push onion mixture into chicken cavity. Tie legs together with string. Tuck neck flap and wings underneath. Place chicken, breast-side up, on a chopping board. Rub with half the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place on wire rack in pan.
- Roast for 1 hour 30 minutes or until juices run clear when thigh is pierced with a skewer. Meanwhile, toss potato in remaining oil. Add potato to pan for last 50 minutes of cooking, turning halfway through cooking. Remove chicken from oven. Cover loosely with foil. Stand for 10 minutes. Serve with potato.
- Basic Gravy: Transfer meat (and any vegetables) to a plate to rest. Combine stock and wine in a jug. Skim fat from roasting pan, leaving 1 1/2 tablespoons pan juices and fat in pan. Place pan over high heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture bubbles and becomes golden. Add juices from resting meat. Slowly add stock mixture to pan, stirring constantly. Cook, scraping pan, for 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened.
Nutritions of Tarragon and lemon roast chickenfatContent: 578.619 calories
saturatedFatContent: 17 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 5 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 45 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 4 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 54 grams protein
sodiumContent: 164 milligrams cholesterol