Great flavour isnt the only reward you get for making this gently braised chicken well ahead - it also means this mouth-watering meal is on the table much faster.
The ingredient of Chicken with spring vegetables
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1.6kg whole chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- 1 large leek, trimmed, halved lengthways, washed, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 185ml (3/4 cup) white wine
- 185ml (3/4 cup) Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock (see note)
- 4 x 5cm-long strips lemon rind, white pith removed
- 500g ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 150g (1 cup) frozen broad beans, peeled
- 2 teaspoons cornflour (see note)
- 125ml (1/2 cup) pouring cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh continental parsley
- Mashed potato, to serve
The instruction how to make Chicken with spring vegetables
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken and cook, turning once, for 4-5 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Drain excess fat from the saucepan, leaving about 1 tablespoon in the pan. Reduce heat to medium. Add the leek and garlic, and cook, stirring often, for 6 minutes or until the leek starts to soften. Increase heat to high. Add the wine and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the wine has reduced by half. Add the stock and bring to the boil.
- Return the chicken to the pan. Add the lemon rind. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, for 40 minutes. Stir in the tomato and broad beans. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. (To freeze, see note.)
- Place the cornflour in a small bowl. Stir in the cream. Add to the chicken mixture and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly. Stir in the parsley. Divide the chicken mixture among serving plates and serve with mash.
Nutritions of Chicken with spring vegetablesfatContent: 666.093 calories
saturatedFatContent: 44 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 17 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 7 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 5 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 53 grams protein
sodiumContent: 230 milligrams cholesterol