Bring the taste of Malaysia home with this spicy chicken curry.
The ingredient of Malaysian chicken curry
- 1 brown onion, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 tomato, quartered
- 1 birdseye chilli
- 1 teaspoon Madras curry paste
- 60mls (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 kg chicken drumsticks
- 1 400 ml can coconut cream
- Steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- Steamed Asian greens (like bok choy or choy sum), to serve
The instruction how to make Malaysian chicken curry
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place onion, garlic, ginger, tomato, chilli, curry paste and 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in the bowl of a food processor and process until mixture is a paste consistency.
- Combine the turmeric and salt in a bowl and sprinkle evenly over the drumsticks to coat.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat and cook drumsticks, turning them occasionally, for 5-8 minutes or until golden. Place drumsticks in a single layer in an ovenproof dish. Set aside.
- Add the onion paste mixture to the frying pan and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until aromatic. Stir in the coconut cream and bring just to the boil. Pour the mixture over the drumsticks and bake, covered, in preheated oven for 1 hour, turning the drumsticks after 30 minutes. Serve curry accompanied by Jasmine rice and steamed Asian greens on the side.
Nutritions of Malaysian chicken curryfatContent: 591.764 calories
saturatedFatContent: 49 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 24 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 7 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 6 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 31 grams protein
sodiumContent: 138 milligrams cholesterol