The ingredient of Mojo chicken with beans & rice
- 1.8kg whole fresh chicken
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 125ml (1/2 cup) fresh orange juice
- 60ml (1/4 cup) fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chilli paste
- 125ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
- Lime wedges, to serve
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 green capsicum, halved, deseeded, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 150g (3/4 cup) white long-grain rice
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 x 420g can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
The instruction how to make Mojo chicken with beans & rice
- Rinse the chicken inside and out under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towel. Place the chicken, breast-side down, on a clean work surface. Use poultry shears or sharp kitchen scissors to cut along either side of the backbone. Discard backbone. Cut the breast in half along the breastbone. Use a sharp knife to cut around the legs, between the thigh and breast. Cut drumsticks from the thighs. Cut the wings from the breasts. Cut each breast in half diagonally. Use a sharp knife to cut 5cm-long slashes in the chicken. Transfer to a glass or ceramic bowl.
- Place the garlic and salt in a mortar and pound with a pestle until finely crushed. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Add the combined juice, oregano, cumin and chilli paste, and stir to combine.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add to the garlic mixture and stir to combine. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool. Pour over the chicken and toss to coat. Cover and place in the fridge for 4 hours to marinate.
- Preheat oven to 200u00b0C. Preheat chargrill on medium-high. Drain the chicken, reserving the marinade. Place the chicken, skin-side down, on grill. Brush the chicken with the reserved marinade. Cook for 5 minutes or until golden. Turn and brush with marinade. Cook on grill for a further 5 minutes. Transfer to a roasting pan. Roast, basting occasionally, for 30 minutes or until the juices run clear when the thickest part of the chicken is pierced with a skewer. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil. Set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, to make the beans & rice, heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and capsicum. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add the garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the rice. Add the stock, oregano and bay leaves. Bring to the boil. Cover and cook, without stirring, for 25 minutes. Stir in the beans. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes or until the beans are heated through. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the beans & rice among serving dishes. Top with the chicken and serve with lime wedges.
Nutritions of Mojo chicken with beans & ricefatContent: 1035.109 calories
saturatedFatContent: 66 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 15 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 43 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 6 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 64 grams protein
sodiumContent: 223 milligrams cholesterol