Orange-spiced chicken baked to perfection - its gluten-free too!
The ingredient of Orange-brined roast chicken
- 2 x 1.1kg whole chickens
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- Extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- 250ml (1 cup) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 oranges, peeled, thickly sliced
- Fresh coriander sprigs, to serve
- 60g (1/2 cup) sea salt
- 60g (1/3 cup, lightly packed) brown sugar
- 2 oranges, juiced
The instruction how to make Orange-brined roast chicken
- For the brine, place salt, sugar, orange juice and 500ml (2 cups) water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Stir in another 500ml (2 cups) water. Set aside to cool.
- Place chickens, breast side down, on a chopping board. Use kitchen scissors or a sharp knife to cut along either side of the backbones and discard. Turn chickens over and push down to flatten. Place in a large deep glass or ceramic dish. Pour over the cooled brine. Cover and place in the fridge for 4 hours to brine. Drain and discard brine. Pat chickens dry with paper towel.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan forced. Place a large roasting pan in the oven for 10 minutes to heat.
- Place the cumin, coriander and salt in a mortar. Use a pestle to pound until coarsely crushed. Add cardamom and pound until slightly bruised. Sprinkle spice mixture over chickens.
- Scatter onion over hot pan. Top with chickens, cut side down. Drizzle with oil. Roast for 10 minutes or until chickens are starting to brown. Pour in stock and add cinnamon stick. Roast for 40 minutes or until chickens are golden and cooked through. Transfer the chickens and onion to a plate. Set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, place the roasting pan over medium-low heat and simmer cooking juices for 5 minutes or until reduced by half. Add orange slices and turn to coat.
- Cut each chicken into quarters and place on a platter. Drizzle with the cooking juices and top with the orange slices and onion wedges. Sprinkle with coriander.
Nutritions of Orange-brined roast chickenfatContent: 549.222 calories
saturatedFatContent: 37 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 10 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 11 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 43 grams protein