Its famous for being footy-game fare, but with a little know-how you can turn this classic chicken pie into a family favourite.
The ingredient of Country chicken pie
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 (about 600g) chicken thigh fillets, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 leek, white part only, sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled, sliced
- 1 celery stick, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, halved, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 cup (250ml) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1/2 cup (70g) frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup (80g) frozen peas
- 1/4 cup (60ml) thickened cream
- 1 sheet (25cm) ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 1 sheet (25cm) ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
The instruction how to make Country chicken pie
- Heat half the oil in a frying pan over high heat. Add 1/3 of the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, for 2 minutes or until brown all over. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat in 2 more batches with remaining chicken.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan over medium heat. Add the leek, carrot, celery and capsicum and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until leek softens. Add the flour and stir for 1 minute or until well combined. Add the chicken and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and sauce thickens. Add the corn, peas and cream and stir to combine. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 220u00b0C. Line the base and side of a 20cm diameter (base measurement) pie dish with the shortcrust pastry. Trim the edge. Line with baking paper and fill with rice or dried beans. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the paper, rice or dried beans and bake for a further 8 minutes, or until pastry is lightly golden. Remove from oven.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into the pie shell. Place the puff pastry over the top to enclose the filling. Use a small, sharp knife to trim the edge. Lightly brush with egg. Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Nutritions of Country chicken piefatContent: 724.17 calories
saturatedFatContent: 43 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 18 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 44 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 8 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 37 grams protein