Spice up your barbecue with our take on Portuguese chicken.
The ingredient of Portuguese-style barbecued chicken
- 2 1kg (no.1) chickens
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Hot potato chips, to serve
- 5-7 small fresh red birdseye chillies, roughly chopped
- 2 long red chillies, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon salt flakes
The instruction how to make Portuguese-style barbecued chicken
- To make the chilli sauce, place the chillies and garlic in the bowl of a small food processor and process, scraping down the side occasionally, until chillies are finely chopped. Add oil, lemon juice and salt and process until just combined. Transfer to a screw-top jar or plastic container.
- Place 1 chicken, breast side up, on a clean work surface. Use poultry shears to cut breast in half, splitting breast bone. Press chicken to open flat. Cut on either side of backbone and discard backbone. Remove breast bone halves and tuck under wings. Pat dry with paper towel. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Preheat barbecue grill on high. Use a knife to make 5mm-deep and 4cm-long cuts into chicken flesh. Reserve 2 1/2 tablespoons chilli sauce. Brush underside of chicken with some remaining chilli sauce.
- Reduce heat to medium. Place the chicken, skin-side up, on the preheated barbecue grill. Cook for 10 minutes, brushing occasionally with a little of the chilli sauce. Brush the top of the chicken with the remaining chilli sauce and then turn over. Cook for a further 8 minutes or until the juices run clear when the thickest part of the chicken is pierced with a skewer.
- Transfer chicken to a plate, cover loosely with foil and set aside for 5 minutes to rest. Brush chicken with reserved chilli sauce and serve immediately with lemon wedges and chips.
Nutritions of Portuguese-style barbecued chickenfatContent: 697.163 calories
saturatedFatContent: 49 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 13 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 1 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 1 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 62 grams protein
sodiumContent: 248 milligrams cholesterol