Love crumbed chicken? This healthier version made in the Philips Airfryer has all of the flavour with none of the extra oil.
The ingredient of Healthier Southern fried chicken
- 2 chicken drumsticks
- 2 chicken thigh cutlets
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 200g red cabbage, thinly shredded
- 200g green cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped mint leaves
- 1/3 cup light Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
The instruction how to make Healthier Southern fried chicken
- Discard chicken skin. Using a sharp knife, make 2 slits (to the bone) through the thickest part of the meat. Place in a bowl and cover with buttermilk. Cover and chill for 6 hours or overnight.
- Combine flour, garlic powder, onion flakes and paprika in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat Philips Airfryer to 180C. Lightly spray the basket with oil before placing in the AirFryer. Working with 1 piece at a time, drain excess buttermilk from chicken then roll in flour mixture to coat all over. Place in the basket. Repeat with remaining chicken and flour mixture. Lightly spray chicken. Place basket in Airfryer. Cook for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, combine cabbages, carrot, onion and mint in a large bowl. Combine yoghurt, mustard and garlic in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over vegetable mix and toss to coat.
- Serve chicken with coleslaw.
Nutritions of Healthier Southern fried chickenfatContent: 636.218 calories
saturatedFatContent: 19.9 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 5.7 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 30.6 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 9.1 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 79.9 grams protein
sodiumContent: 226 milligrams cholesterol