This quick and easy chicken recipe has a good balance of sweet and sour flavours. Adjust the amount of sugar to your taste.
The ingredient of Tomato and tamarind chicken
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 600g chicken thigh fillets, halved
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 410g can tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon tamarind puree (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 600g broccoli, cut into florets
- 4 chargrilled roti bread, to serve
- Fresh coriander leaves, to serve
The instruction how to make Tomato and tamarind chicken
- Heat oil in a large, deep frying pan on medium-high heat. Cook chicken for 3 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- Add onion to pan. Cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, ginger, cumin and curry powder. Cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add tomato puree, tamarind, sugar and 1/2 cup cold water. Bring to the boil. Return chicken to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add broccoli. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes or until broccoli is tender. Serve chicken with roti and sprinkle with coriander.
Nutritions of Tomato and tamarind chickenfatContent: 732.774 calories
saturatedFatContent: 26.4 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 8.4 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 71.8 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 45.7 grams protein
sodiumContent: 130 milligrams cholesterol