Eat these hearty little pies at home, or pack them up and head off on a winter picnic.
The ingredient of Chicken and vegetable pies
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 30g butter
- 500g chicken breast fillet, cut into 2cm chunks
- 1 leek, white part only, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/3 cup (80ml) white wine or water
- 1 cup (250ml) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1/2 cup (125ml) thick cream
- 1 large carrot, peeled, cooked, diced
- 1 large potato, peeled, boiled, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas, cooked
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 4 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
The instruction how to make Chicken and vegetable pies
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a frypan over medium heat, add the pieces of chicken and cook until lightly browned and almost cooked through. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside. Add the leek and garlic to the pan and cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes or until softened. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add wine and bring to the boil for 1 minute, then pour in stock and cream and cook, stirring, for a further 5 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Return chicken to pan with cooked vegetables and tarragon, season well, then set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200u00b0C.
- Cut four 18cm squares from the pastry, reserving off cuts. Place some chicken mixture in the centre of each square, then lift up the sides of the pastry to form a parcel, pinching edges together to seal. Cut out leaf shapes from the pastry offcuts and place over the joins. Make a small pastry rose for the centre of each parcel.
- Place parcels on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Brush with beaten egg and bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
Nutritions of Chicken and vegetable piesfatContent: