Wine and brandy ensure that this version of traditional French onion soup will warm you up from the inside.
The ingredient of French onion soup
- 50g (2 1/2 tablespoons) butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 750g brown onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 500ml (2 cups) Massel beef style liquid stock
- 500ml (2 cups) water
- 250ml (1 cup) dry white wine
- 60ml (1/4 cup) brandy
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 2cm-thick slices baguette (French bread stick)
- 90g (3/4 cup) coarsely grated gruyere cheese
The instruction how to make French onion soup
- Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until butter melts. Increase heat to high. Add onions and cook, uncovered, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until the onions begin to soften.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add sugar and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until onions are golden and caramelised.
- Add the stock, water, wine and brandy to the pan and season well with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil over medium-low heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill on medium. Place the baguette slices under preheated grill and toast for 1-2 minutes each side or until lightly toasted. Sprinkle one side of each slice with a little of the cheese. Grill for a further 1-2 minutes or until the cheese melts and is golden.
- Ladle the hot soup into serving bowls. Top with the cheese toasts and sprinkle with pepper just before serving.
Nutritions of French onion soupfatContent: 493.535 calories
saturatedFatContent: 28 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 13 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 29 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 12 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 15 grams protein
sodiumContent: 48 milligrams cholesterol