Chermoula is a Moroccan herb and spice paste that is used as a rub for this chicken.
The ingredient of Chermoula chicken on braised lentils
- 2 x 1.4kg whole chickens
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 large leek, halved, thinly sliced
- 200g grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 1/2 cups dried French-style lentils
- 2 cups Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
The instruction how to make Chermoula chicken on braised lentils
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced.
- Make Chermoula: Heat a small frying pan over medium heat. Add cumin, ground coriander and paprika. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Transfer spices to a small bowl. Add fresh coriander, parsley, lemon juice and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Wash chickens, including cavity, under cold water. Pat dry, inside and out, with paper towel. Rub chickens, including cavity, with chermoula mixture. Using kitchen string, tie legs together to secure. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large heavy-based flameproof roasting pan over medium heat. Add onion and leek. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Remove from heat. Add tomatoes, lentils, chicken stock and 1 cup cold water. Place chickens on lentil mixture.
- Roast chickens for 1 hour 30 minutes or until browned and juices run clear when thighs are pierced with a skewer. Remove from oven. Cover loosely with foil and rest for 10 minutes. Serve chicken with lentil mixture.
Nutritions of Chermoula chicken on braised lentilsfatContent: 537.033 calories
saturatedFatContent: 29.4 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 7.9 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 18.4 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 47.7 grams protein
sodiumContent: 180 milligrams cholesterol