Colourful root vegetables give this dish a rustic but beautiful look.
The ingredient of Chicken pot-au-feu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 chicken marylands or 1 whole large chicken (See note)
- 200g hickory smoked bacon, large dice (Available from the deli)
- 5 pearl onions/golden shallots, peeled, kept whole
- 5 cloves
- 4 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch of golden beetroot, peeled, halved (See note)
- 2 bunches of coloured carrots or heritage/ dutch carrots, trimmed, peeled
- 1 swede, peeled, diced
- 2 turnips, peeled, diced
- 3u20134 small purple or pink skinned potatoes, skins on, quartered (See note)
- 1/2 bunch celery, cut stalks in half, use leafy end
- 4 bay leaves
- Salt, to season
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 bunch parsley stalks
The instruction how to make Chicken pot-au-feu
- To make a bouquet garni, place thyme, rosemary and parsley stalks in a tight bunch, wrap in muslin cloth and tie tightly in kitchen string. Alternatively if you dont have muslin cloth, just tie with kitchen string.
- Place oil in large stockpot over medium u2013 high heat, once hot, add chicken marylands and brown until golden on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add bacon to the stockpot and cook through until golden. Remove and set aside.
- Pierce one clove into each pearl onion / shallot. Add garlic and shallots to the stockpot and cook through until slightly golden, do not burn.
- Deglaze pan by adding white wine to the stockpot over a high heat. Allow wine to reduce by half. Scrape the bottom of the pot to remove any caramelisation that might be stuck on the base of the pot.
- Return chicken and bacon back to the pot, add beetroot, carrot, swede, turnips, potatoes celery, bay leaves, bouquet garni and a good amount of salt to the pot along with enough water to cover the vegetables. Bring to the boil, simmer on a low heat for 1.5 u2013 2 hours. If using a whole chicken, you will need to remove the chicken before serving and shred the meat.
- Season with salt to taste. Serve in a shallow bowl with a good selection of vegetables and one chicken Maryland each with the skin removed, or shredded chicken.
Nutritions of Chicken pot-au-feufatContent: