Savour the flavour of this French country-style stew whenever your tastebuds get the urge to travel.
The ingredient of Chicken, fennel and saffron ragout
- 8 chicken thigh cutlets
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, halved, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Large pinch of saffron threads
- 8 baby potatoes, halved
- 125ml (1/2 cup) white wine
- 250ml (1 cup) passata (tomato pasta sauce)
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) water
- 1 Massel chicken style stock cube
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 dried bay leaves
- Fresh continental parsley sprigs, to serve
- French bread stick (baguette), to serve
- Mixed salad leaves, to serve
The instruction how to make Chicken, fennel and saffron ragout
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Remove the skin from the chicken. (See note 1.) Season with salt and pepper. heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook half the chicken for 3 minutes each side or until golden. (See note 2.) Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken, reheating the casserole dish between batches.
- Heat the remaining oil in the dish over medium heat. Cook onion and fennel, stirring, for 3 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Add saffron and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until combined. (See note 3.) Stir in potato. Add the wine and cook for 1 minute or until reduced. Add chicken, passata, water, stock cube, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to the boil. cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the potato is tender.
- Divide among serving dishes and top with parsley. Serve with baguette and salad leaves.
Nutritions of Chicken, fennel and saffron ragoutfatContent: 429.005 calories
saturatedFatContent: 15 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 3 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 43 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 30 grams protein