For the ultimate comfort food, try this crispy chicken and eggplant parmigiana.
The ingredient of Chicken and eggplant parmigiana
- 4 chicken breast fillets, excess fat trimmed
- 140g (2 cups) panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 125ml (1/2 cup) light extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (about 350g) eggplant, cut into 1cm-thick slices
- 8 large fresh basil leaves, torn
- 180g ctn bocconcini, drained, thickly sliced
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 700g btl tomato passata
The instruction how to make Chicken and eggplant parmigiana
- Place each chicken fillet between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Use a mallet or rolling pin to gently pound the thickest part of the chicken until fillets are an even thickness. Place breadcrumbs in a dish.
- Place egg in a bowl. Place flour on a plate. Season. Coat the fillets in flour. Shake off excess. Coat in egg. Coat in breadcrumbs, pressing firmly to stick. Transfer to a tray. Cover. Place in the fridge to set for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbs of the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add one-third of the eggplant. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side until golden. Drain on paper towel. Repeat in 2 batches, adding a little extra oil as needed.
- For the sauce, heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in garlic for 1-2 minutes until aromatic. Add the passata and cook, stirring, for 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook schnitzels, in 2 batches, for 2 minutes each side or until golden. Drain on paper towel.
- Place half the sauce in a roasting pan. Top with eggplant and chicken. Drizzle with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with the basil and top with bocconcini. Bake for 15 minutes or until melted and golden.
Nutritions of Chicken and eggplant parmigianafatContent: