A little bacon goes a long way to adding richness and depth to the flavours in this chicken casserole.
The ingredient of Chicken, mushroom and thyme casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 chicken pieces, such as cutlets and drumsticks
- 8 pickling onions, peeled, halved (see variation)
- 125g bacon, rind removed, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons harissa (see note)
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 150g Swiss brown button mushrooms
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Roast pumpkin, to serve
The instruction how to make Chicken, mushroom and thyme casserole
- Heat oil and butter in a heavy-based flameproof casserole dish over high heat. Cook chicken, in batches, for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove to a plate.
- Add onions, bacon and harissa to pan. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is golden and bacon is crisp. Remove and set aside.
- Add flour to pan and stir until smooth. If there is not enough pan juice to form a sauce, add a little more butter. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and slowly add stock and wine, stirring constantly, until smooth. Return to heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Preheat oven to 200u00b0C. Add chicken, onion mixture, mushrooms and thyme to pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cover. Transfer to oven for 45 minutes. Remove lid and cook for a further 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Serve with pumpkin.
Nutritions of Chicken, mushroom and thyme casserolefatContent: 524.366 calories
saturatedFatContent: 34 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 12 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 14 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 9 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 37 grams protein