In this classic confit, the chicken is salted and seasoned with herbs, then slowly cooked in olive oil to make it rich and tender.
The ingredient of Chicken confit with sauce vierge
- 10 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 12 whole black peppercorns
- 6 dried juniper berries (see notes), lightly crushed
- 2 bay leaves, crushed
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 chicken marylands
- 1L (4 cups) olive oil
- Steamed green beans, to serve
- Pommes puree (see related recipe), to serve
- 2 large firm tomatoes, halved, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 150ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chervil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 2 eschalots, finely chopped
The instruction how to make Chicken confit with sauce vierge
- Using a mortar and pestle, crush 2 tsp sea salt with the thyme, peppercorns and juniper berries. Press bay leaves and garlic into the fleshy side of the chicken and rub the skin with thyme salt. Cover and chill overnight to infuse.
- The next day, preheat oven to 140C.
- Rinse chicken under cold water and pat dry with paper towel. Place in a small roasting pan and cover with oil. Place pan over low heat until small bubbles appear on the surface (donu2019t let it boil), then transfer to the oven. Roast for 2 hours or until chicken is cooked through and is no longer pink. Set aside to cool. (The chicken will keep in the fridge for 1 week.)
- When ready to serve, preheat oven to 200C. Remove chicken from oil and place in a roasting pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile make sauce vierge: Combine all ingredients in a bowl, then season and set aside for 20 minutes for the flavours to develop.
- Serve with steamed green beans, sauce vierge and pommes puree.
Nutritions of Chicken confit with sauce viergefatContent: 661.791 calories
saturatedFatContent: 57.1 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 12.7 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 3.2 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 0.1 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 34.8 grams protein
sodiumContent: 146 milligrams cholesterol