This Japanese curry recipe is full of flavour, easy to make and packed with vegetables. Plus, the katsu-style sauce is incredible.
The ingredient of Quick Japanese chicken curry
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 600g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 2cm pieces
- 60g butter, chopped
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 carrots, sliced diagonally
- 150g green beans, trimmed, halved
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Pickled ginger, to serve
- Steamed Japanese rice, to serve
The instruction how to make Quick Japanese chicken curry
- Heat oil in a large deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken for 5 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a plate.
- Melt butter in same pan over medium-high heat. Add brown onion. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until browned. Add ginger and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until mixture is well browned.
- Add curry powder and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Add 3/4 cup of the stock. Stir until well combined. Add remaining stock and 1 1/4 cups water. Bring to a simmer. Add chicken and carrot. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Add beans, sauces and honey. Cook for a further 5 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Sprinkle curry with spring onion and sesame seeds. Serve with pickled ginger and rice.
Nutritions of Quick Japanese chicken curryfatContent: