Caramelised onions are perfectly paired with chicken sausages - they add sweetness without detracting from the flavour.
The ingredient of Caramelised onions with chicken sausages
- 60g butter
- 3 red onions, halved, thickly sliced lengthways
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 60ml (1/4 cup) red wine vinegar
- 60ml (1/4 cup) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh thyme
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 800g kent pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, coarsely chopped
- 125ml (1/2 cup) thin cream
- 8 (about 960g) chicken sausages
- Steamed green beans, to serve
The instruction how to make Caramelised onions with chicken sausages
- Melt 40g of the butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat until foaming. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until onion is very soft. Add the sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves and onion caramelises. Add the vinegar and stock and cook, stirring, for 5-7 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat and stir in the thyme. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook the pumpkin in a steamer basket over a saucepan of simmering water for 15 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a medium saucepan and add the cream and the remaining butter. Use a potato masher or fork to mash until smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Place over low heat and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Heat a large frying pan over high heat. Add the sausages and cook, turning occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Divide the pumpkin mash among serving plates. Top with sausages and caramelised onions. Serve immediately with steamed green beans.
Nutritions of Caramelised onions with chicken sausagesfatContent: