This tasty chicken soup is also full of healthy vegetables. Save money by making your own stock!
The ingredient of Chicken and vegetable soup
- 1.5kg whole chicken
- 1 large brown onion, peeled, chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled, halved lengthways, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 dried bouquet garni (see note)
- 700g desiree potatoes, peeled, diced
- 420g can corn kernels, drained
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
The instruction how to make Chicken and vegetable soup
- Rinse chicken under cold water. Pat dry with paper towel. Place in a large saucepan. Add onion, carrot, celery, peppercorns and bouquet garni. Cover with cold water. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, skimming surface occasionally, for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Remove chicken. Transfer to a plate. Line a fine sieve with muslin cloth. Strain broth over a large heatproof bowl. Discard peppercorns and bouquet garni. Return vegetables and broth to pan. Bring to the boil. Add potato. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 10 minutes, skimming fat, or until potato is tender.
- Meanwhile, remove skin and bones from chicken. Shred meat. Add meat and corn to pan. Cook for 5 minutes or until heated through. Stir in chives and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
Nutritions of Chicken and vegetable soupfatContent: 268.875 calories
saturatedFatContent: 7.1 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 2 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 22.4 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 25.3 grams protein
sodiumContent: 82 milligrams cholesterol