A classic roast dinner recipe featuring a leek, apple, roasted hazelnut and pancetta stuffing.
The ingredient of Roast chicken with leek stuffing
- 1.8kg whole chicken
- 8 sprigs tarragon
- 20g butter, chopped
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 2 brown onions, cut into wedges
- 2 cups (500ml) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small leek, pale section only, washed, thinly sliced
- 2 mild pancetta slices, chopped
- 1/2 granny smith apple, grated
- 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (made from day-old sourdough bread)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
The instruction how to make Roast chicken with leek stuffing
- Preheat oven to 200C. To make the stuffing, heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the leek and pancetta and cook, stirring, for 5-6 minutes or until leek softens. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Transfer the leek mixture to a medium bowl. Add the apple, hazelnuts, breadcrumbs and tarragon, stir and season well.
- Rinse chicken cavity under cold water. Dry inside and out.
- Spoon the stuffing into the cavity, tie legs together with kitchen string. Lift the skin under the breast. Place half the tarragon sprigs and butter under the skin. Place chicken in a large roasting pan. Arrange the lemon and onion wedges around the bird and pour stock over and around it. Season well with sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper.
- Roast chicken in preheated oven, basting in juices occasionally, for 1 hour 15 minutes or until the juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thigh (or a meat thermometer reaches 82C and the stuffing reaches 70C).
Nutritions of Roast chicken with leek stuffingfatContent: 708.874 calories
saturatedFatContent: 44 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 13 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 14 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 6 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 62 grams protein