Find inspiration in the flavours of Chinese cuisine with this spectacular version of chicken noodles.
The ingredient of Chicken with shanghai noodles
- 500g skinless chicken thigh fillets, halved
- 3 cups (750ml) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 400g fresh Shanghai noodles (see note)
- 2 teaspoons white sesame seeds, toasted, plus extra to sprinkle
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, peeled, sliced into thin ribbons
- 4 spring onions, finely shredded
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1 cup watercress sprigs
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon Szechuan peppercorns (see note)
- 1/4 cup (70g) tahini (see note)
- 2 teaspoons chilli sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons black vinegar (see note)
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
The instruction how to make Chicken with shanghai noodles
- Place the chicken and stock in a pan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil, then remove from heat. Cover and allow the chicken to cook completely in the stock. Remove the chicken from the stock and shred the meat. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, heat sunflower oil in a wok over medium-high heat and add the Szechuan peppercorns. Fry for 30 seconds until fragrant, then drain, reserving the oil. Cool. Place remaining ingredients in a food processor and pulse to combine. Add cooled peppercorns and oil and whiz until smooth. Set aside.
- Cook the noodles in boiling water according to the packet instructions. Drain and refresh. Set aside.
- Toss chicken with enough sauce to coat, then toss with noodles and remaining ingredients. Divide among serving bowls and garnish with extra toasted sesame seeds and serve with remaining sauce.
Nutritions of Chicken with shanghai noodlesfatContent: 623.312 calories
saturatedFatContent: 37 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 7 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 35 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 7 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 34 grams protein
sodiumContent: 99 milligrams cholesterol