This Louisiana favourite stars tender chicken, smoky chorizo and fresh corn.
The ingredient of Chicken & chorizo gumbo
- 20g butter
- 500g skinless chicken thigh fillets, excess fat trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 4 chorizo sausages, halved, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 green capsicums, halved, seeded, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Masterfoods Cajun Seasoning
- 2 corncobs, husks and silk removed
- 500ml (2 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- Chopped fresh continental parsley, to serve
- Thinly sliced shallot, to serve
- Steamed rice, to serve
The instruction how to make Chicken & chorizo gumbo
- Heat half the butter in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken for 3 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the chorizo to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring, or until golden. Transfer to the plate with the chicken.
- Heat remaining butter in pan. Add the capsicum and celery and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the vegetables start to soften. Add the flour, tomato paste and Cajun seasoning and cook for 1 minute.
- Use a small sharp knife to cut down the length of the corncobs to remove kernels. Add stock, corn, chicken and chorizo to pan. Stir to combine. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the mixture reduces slightly. Season with pepper. Top with parsley and shallot. Serve with rice.
Nutritions of Chicken & chorizo gumbofatContent: 624.029 calories
saturatedFatContent: 41 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 16 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 16 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 5 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 46 grams protein
sodiumContent: 176 milligrams cholesterol