Sticky caramel chicken served with a spicy Asian noodle salad – this is our new favourite dinner!
The ingredient of Vietnamese caramel chicken salad
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 long red chillies, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons kecap manis
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 small (1.2kg) chicken breast fillets
- 125g rice vermicelli noodles
- 1/2 small iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 small carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 2 small Lebanese cucumbers, seeded, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 small garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 long red chillies, thinly sliced (see note)
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup fish sauce
- 1/3 cup lime juice
The instruction how to make Vietnamese caramel chicken salad
- Place garlic, chilli, sugar, kecap manis, sh sauce, juice and 2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring for 3 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes or until reduced by half. Remove from heat. Set caramel sauce aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, make Nuoc cham dressing: Place garlic, chilli, sugar, sh sauce, juice and 1 cup water in a small bowl. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with sides with baking paper.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to prepared tray. Spoon over 1u20442 the caramel sauce mixture. Roast for 10 minutes, or until cooked through, spooning over remaining sauce mixture halfway through cooking. Cover loosely with foil. Stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place noodles in a large heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Set aside for 10 minutes or until softened. Drain. Refresh under cold water. Drain. Place noodles in a large serving dish. Add lettuce, carrot, cucumber, mint and coriander. Toss to combine.
- Divide salad among serving plates. Slice chicken. Arrange on top of salad. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve.
Nutritions of Vietnamese caramel chicken saladfatContent: 341.77 calories
saturatedFatContent: 6 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 1.2 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 33 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 37.1 grams protein
sodiumContent: 88 milligrams cholesterol