This succulent chicken recipe was created to be cooked in a barbecue with a hood. If you would prefer to cook in the oven, please read the notes section for further instruction.
The ingredient of Butterflied chicken with pistachio butter
- 1.8kg whole chicken
- 125g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup pistachio kernels, toasted, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon thyme, finely chopped
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Fresh lemon thyme sprigs, to serv
- Lemon wedges, to serve
The instruction how to make Butterflied chicken with pistachio butter
- Preheat a barbecue (with hood) hot plate on medium, with hood closed (see note).
- Pat chicken dry with paper towel. Place on a chopping board, breast-side down and cavity facing you. Using kitchen scissors, cut along both sides of backbone and discard. Open out chicken. Turn over. Press down with the heal of your hand, to flatten.
- Place butter, pistachios, garlic, lemon rind and juice, and lemon thyme in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Run your fingers between chicken skin and flesh on breasts and legs to create a pocket. Push 2/3 butter mixture under skin. Gently rub skin to evenly distribute butter. Season with salt and pepper. Spray with oil.
- Cook chicken, skin-side down, for 5 minutes or until skin is golden and crisp. Turn chicken. Cook, with barbecue hood down, for 45 to 50 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Cover loosely with foil. Stand for 10 minutes.
- Cut chicken into 8 pieces. Place on a serving platter. Dollop with remaining butter mixture. Sprinkle with lemon thyme sprigs. Serve with lemon wedges.
Nutritions of Butterflied chicken with pistachio butterfatContent: 383.117 calories
saturatedFatContent: 32.3 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 13.6 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 1.9 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 20.6 grams protein
sodiumContent: 124 milligrams cholesterol