Beat the winter sniffles with this hearty chicken soup packed with garlic, chilli, turmeric and sweet potato noodles.
The ingredient of Flu-fighter chicken and turmeric soup
- 1.5kg organic chicken
- 1 small head garlic, sliced horizontally, plus 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped, extra
- 5cm-piece ginger, peeled, chopped, plus 1 tbs finely chopped, extra
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 long fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Masterfoods Turmeric Ground
- 270ml can coconut milk
- 200g pkt fresh sweet potato zoodles (see notes)
- 1-2 tablespoons tamari, to taste
- 1 lime, juiced, plus wedges, extra, to serve
- Fresh coriander sprigs, to serve
The instruction how to make Flu-fighter chicken and turmeric soup
- Place the chicken in a stockpot. Add 4L (16 cups) water to cover. Bring to the boil, over high heat, skimming and discarding any fat that comes to the surface. Reduce heat to low. Add the garlic, ginger and peppercorns. Simmer, skimming occasionally, for 1u00bd hours or until the chicken is very tender. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside to cool. Coarsely shred the meat and discard the skin and bones. Strain the chicken stock, discarding the solids and reserving the liquid.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan. Add the chilli, extra garlic and extra ginger. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until aromatic. Stir in the turmeric. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Slowly pour in the reserved chicken stock. Add the coconut milk. Simmer for 20 minutes or until reduced slightly. Add the zoodles and shredded chicken and simmer for 5 minutes or until zoodles are tender. Stir in the tamari and lime juice. Season to taste. Divide among serving bowls. Top with coriander and serve with extra lime wedges.
Nutritions of Flu-fighter chicken and turmeric soupfatContent: 598.217 calories
saturatedFatContent: 28.1 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 17.8 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 9.9 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 4.9 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 74.5 grams protein
sodiumContent: 354 milligrams cholesterol