This recipe is made using classic Malaysian ingredients - chicken, lemongrass, ginger - and tastes just as good as the street-food mamak version, but is easy to make.
The ingredient of Malaysian fried chicken (Ayam goreng)
- 1.2kg chicken drumsticks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- Vegetable oil or canola oil, for deep-frying
- 2 stalks lemongrass (white part only), roughly chopped
- 1 brown onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1.5cm piece fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon MasterFoodsu00ae Turmeric Ground
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1.4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 cups cooked white long-grain rice, cooled
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1/2 large red chilli, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, juiced, plus extra wedges to serve
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
The instruction how to make Malaysian fried chicken (Ayam goreng)
- Make Marinade: Place lemongrass, onion, garlic, ginger, fish sauce, turmeric, sugar, sesame oil, salt and pepper in a food processor. Process until smooth, adding a little water if needed (see note).
- Place drumsticks in a large bowl. Add the marinade. Toss to coat. Cover. Refrigerate overnight to allow flavours to develop.
- Make Lime herb rice: Combine rice, mint, coriander, chilli, lime juice and grapeseed oil in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain drumsticks, discarding marinade. Place drumsticks in a bowl. Sprinkle with the salt. Add rice flour. Toss to combine.
- Pour enough vegetable oil into a large saucepan or wok to come 5cm up the side. Heat over medium-high heat (oil should reach 165u00baC). Deep-fry drumsticks, in batches, turning, for 12 minutes or until deep golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to paper towel to drain. Serve chicken with rice and lime wedges.
Nutritions of Malaysian fried chicken (Ayam goreng)fatContent: 501.661 calories
saturatedFatContent: 25.7 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 5.1 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 38.5 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 27.3 grams protein
sodiumContent: 79.3 milligrams cholesterol