The meat or fish in red-cooked dishes gets its colour from the soy sauce in the braising liquid.
The ingredient of Red-cooked chicken with ginger salt
- 250ml (1 cup) light soy sauce
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) Shaoxing cooking wine (see note)
- 6cm ginger, peeled, then 4cm thinly sliced and 2cm finely grated
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, bruised
- 4 chicken marylands
- 4 chicken breasts, skin on
- 2 spring onions, very thinly sliced
- 45g (1/4 cup) flaked sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Steamed white rice, to serve
- Asian greens, steamed, to serve
The instruction how to make Red-cooked chicken with ginger salt
- Place soy sauce, wine, sliced ginger, sugar, garlic and 1 litre water in a large saucepan, bring to the boil over medium heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add marylands and cook for 12 minutes. Add breasts, turn off heat and leave chicken to cook in residual heat until cooled. Remove from liquid (reserving liquid), place chicken on a tray and leave until skin dries. (Or refrigerate chicken, uncovered, for 1u00e2u20acu201c24 hours, reserving liquid.)
- Preheat grill to high. Dry grated ginger on paper towel, combine with onions, salt and five-spice in a small frying pan and stir over heat for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Place chicken on an oven tray, brush with sesame oil, then grill for 10 minutes or until skin is crisp and golden. Bring reserved cooking liquid to the boil in a small saucepan.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and serve with rice, greens and some of the hot cooking liquid spooned over, then scattered with ginger salt.
Nutritions of Red-cooked chicken with ginger saltfatContent: