This recipe is based on the French classic, coq au vin. It is a warm and hearty meal for cold winter nights.
The ingredient of Chicken with red wine and herbs
- 1.5kg (about 8) chicken thighs, with skin, parsons nose and visible fat removed
- 100g bacon picnic slices, chopped
- 16 eschalots or tiny pickling onions, peeled
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 375mls (1 1/2 cups) dry red wine
- 125mls (1/2 cup) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 200g button mushrooms, stalks trimmed
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh marjoram or oregano
- Salt & ground black pepper, to taste
- Couscous, to serve
The instruction how to make Chicken with red wine and herbs
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Heat a large non-stick saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the chicken in 2 batches and cook for 3 minutes each side or until browned. Remove from pan.
- Add the bacon to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add eschalots and onion. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add garlic and flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high and add the wine, stock, carrot, bay leaves and thyme. Stir until boiling.
- Place chicken in a large flameproof casserole dish and pour the wine mixture over the top. Cover and cook in preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and stir in the mushrooms and marjoram. Cover and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and use tongs to transfer chicken pieces to a plate. Cover with foil and set aside. Bring liquid to the boil over medium-high heat and boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until reduced by 1/3. Taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Return the chicken to the liquid and simmer until heated through. Serve with couscous.
Nutritions of Chicken with red wine and herbsfatContent: 501.9 calories
saturatedFatContent: 19 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 5.5 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 11 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 72 grams protein