Hearty winter meals dont have to be high in fat and kilojoules. This delicious Italian-inspired main proves that comfort foods can be tasty and healthy.
The ingredient of Spinach & ricotta chicken involtini with polenta
- 1 small bunch English spinach, trimmed, washed
- 80g (1/3 cup) low-fat fresh ricotta
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 4 (about 500g) single chicken breast fillets, halved horizontally
- Olive oil spray
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 x 400g can diced tomatoes
- 625ml (2 1/2 cups) water
- 2 teaspoons salted capers, rinsed, drained, chopped
- 500ml (2 cups) skim milk
- 170g (1 cup) instant polenta (cornmeal)
- Chopped fresh continental parsley, to serve
The instruction how to make Spinach & ricotta chicken involtini with polenta
- Place spinach in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Set aside for 30 seconds to blanch. Refresh under cold running water. Drain. Squeeze out excess liquid. Finely chop. Place in a bowl. Stir in the ricotta and nutmeg. Season with pepper.
- Place 1 piece of chicken between 2 sheets of non-stick baking paper. Use a meat mallet or rolling pin to pound the chicken until about 5mm thick. Repeat with remaining chicken. Place one-eighth of the spinach mixture in the centre of 1 chicken piece and roll up to enclose. Use a toothpick to secure. Repeat with remaining chicken and spinach mixture.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Spray with olive oil spray. Add the onion. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the tomato, 125ml (1/2 cup) of water and the capers. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add the chicken. Simmer, turning once, for 8 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, bring the milk and remaining water to the boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to low. Gradually add polenta in a thin steady stream, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring, for 6 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Sprinkle the chicken with parsley. Serve with polenta.
Nutritions of Spinach & ricotta chicken involtini with polentafatContent: 380.488 calories
saturatedFatContent: 5 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 2 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 41 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 12 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 41 grams protein
sodiumContent: 88 milligrams cholesterol