In this pasta twist, the chicken cacciatore base is given a delicious kick with hints of chilli.
The ingredient of Chilli chicken with pasta and basil pesto
- 500g penne rigate
- 1 bunch broccolini, cut into 5cm lengths
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- Bought basil pesto, to serve
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 1.7kg chicken thigh fillets, cut into 4cm pieces
- 3 red onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 x 700g btls Home Brand Chunky Pasta Sauce
- 500ml (2 cups) white wine
- 2 tablespoons capers, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 200g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
The instruction how to make Chilli chicken with pasta and basil pesto
- To make chicken cacciatore: Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken, onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until browned. Season with salt and pepper. Add the pasta sauce, wine, caper and oregano. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Add the mushroom and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the mushroom is tender. Transfer half the chicken cacciatore to a bowl and freeze the rest (see note).
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile, cook the broccolini in a saucepan of salted boiling water for 2 minutes or until bright green and tender crisp. Refresh under cold running water. Drain.
- Place the chicken cacciatore and chilli flakes in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-8 minutes or until heated through. Stir in the broccolini.
- Divide the pasta among serving bowls. Top with chicken mixture and a dollop of basil pesto.
Nutritions of Chilli chicken with pasta and basil pestofatContent: 1505.7 calories
saturatedFatContent: 58 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 14 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 124 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 31 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 100 grams protein
sodiumContent: 336 milligrams cholesterol