The chicken in this dish is lightly poached in sake, soy and sugar for an authentic Japanese flavour.
The ingredient of Sake-poached chicken with soba noodles
- 20g dried shiitake mushrooms (see Notes)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) sake (see Notes)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) light soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 2 cups (500ml) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 2 x 180g chicken breast fillets
- 1 bunch bok choy or choy sum
- 270g packet soba noodles
- 150g enoki mushrooms (see Notes)
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
The instruction how to make Sake-poached chicken with soba noodles
- Place the shiitake in a heatproof bowl and cover with 2 cups (500ml) hot water. Set aside for 5 minutes, then drain, reserving the mushroom liquid.
- Place the sake, soy sauce, sugar, chicken stock and reserved mushroom liquid into a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken, return to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Turn the chicken over, add the bok choy and cook for a further 5-7 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken and bok choy from the saucepan, transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Bring the broth back to a simmer. Add the noodles, enoki and shiitake. Cook for 7 minutes or until noodles are tender.
- Use tongs to divide the noodles among bowls. Shred the chicken and top noodles with chicken, mushrooms, bok choy and sliced red chilli. Spoon poaching broth into bowls to serve.
Nutritions of Sake-poached chicken with soba noodlesfatContent: 452.905 calories
saturatedFatContent: 4.2 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 1.1 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 57.8 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 3.4 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 41.9 grams protein
sodiumContent: 77 milligrams cholesterol