Homemade flatbread really takes the chicken and yoghurt sauce to the next level! But if you’re pressed for time, just pop a packet of pita bread in your shopping trolley – or even better, souvlaki wraps if you can find them.
The ingredient of Greek chicken gyros with yoghurt sauce
- 2 (600g total) chicken breast fillets, sliced
- 3/4 cup Tamar Valley Greek Style Yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large tomato, seeded, diced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, seeded, diced
- 1/2 Lebanese cucumber
- 1/2 cup plain Greek-style yoghurt
- 1/2 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups plain Greek-style yoghurt
The instruction how to make Greek chicken gyros with yoghurt sauce
- Place chicken, yoghurt, oregano and lemon juice in a snap-lock bag. Season. Seal bag. Massage chicken to coat in marinade. Refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- Make Yoghurt Sauce: Coarsely grate cucumber and squeeze to remove excess liquid. Place in a bowl. Add yoghurt, garlic and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Cover. Refrigerate until required.
- Meanwhile, make Flatbread: Whisk flour and salt in a bowl. Add yoghurt. Mix to form a dough. Turn out onto a lightly-floured surface. Knead for 3 minutes or until smooth. Return to bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Set aside for 20 minutes to rest.
- Divide dough into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball. Roll out on a lightly-floured surface to form 4mm-thick rounds. Layer rounds between sheets of baking paper to prevent sticking. Cover with plastic wrap to prevent drying out.
- Preheat oven to 100C/80C fan-forced. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a cast iron frying pan or on a barbecue hotplate over medium-high heat (see note). Place 1 flatbread in pan. Cook for 1 minute or until charred (see note). Turn. Cook for a further 45 seconds or until charred. Transfer to a baking tray. Cover loosely with foil. Place in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining flatbreads, adding 1 teaspoon oil to the pan between each batch.
- Drain chicken from marinade. Discard marinade. Heat remaining oil in the frying pan over high heat. Add chicken. Cook, turning, for 3 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a serving plate. Toss tomato and cucumber in a serving bowl.
- Fill flatbreads with chicken and tomato mixture. Serve with yoghurt sauce.
Nutritions of Greek chicken gyros with yoghurt saucefatContent: 766.712 calories
saturatedFatContent: 31.1 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 14.4 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 65 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 52.7 grams protein
sodiumContent: 129 milligrams cholesterol