Hearty, filling and nourishing - this is what we call a salad. With chicken schnitzel and winter veggies, this dish has the perfect balance of healthy ingredients and comfort food.
The ingredient of Winter harvest chicken schnitzel salad
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 parsnips, peeled, cut into 1cm-thick batons
- 200g Brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 bunch Dutch (baby) carrots, trimmed, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large beetroot, peeled, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 150g baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 (250g each) chicken breast fillets
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
The instruction how to make Winter harvest chicken schnitzel salad
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced.
- Place onion, parsnip, sprouts, carrot, honey and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large bowl. Season. Spread over a baking tray, in a single layer. Place beetroot on a separate tray. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon remaining olive oil. Bake trays for 25 minutes, turning vegetables once, or until browned and tender. Cover with foil to keep warm. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, make chicken schnitzel: Cut each chicken breast in half horizontally. Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, pound chicken until 1.5cm-thick. Whisk egg in a shallow bowl. Place flour on a plate. Season. Place breadcrumbs on a separate plate. Coat chicken in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg, then coat in breadcrumbs, pressing to secure. Place on a plate.
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, in 2 batches, for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until dark golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towel. Cut into 1cm-thick slices.
- Transfer roasted vegetables to a large bowl. Add spinach. Place vinegar and remaining olive oil in a screw-top jar. Season. Secure lid. Shake to combine. Drizzle over salad. Toss gently to combine. Add schnitzel. Toss. Serve immediately.
Nutritions of Winter harvest chicken schnitzel saladfatContent: 886.69 calories
saturatedFatContent: 43.2 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 6.5 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 76.1 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 43.8 grams protein
sodiumContent: 121 milligrams cholesterol