For a casual night in for two, Katie Quinn Davies recommends this harissa and capsicum chicken. "Its so easy - simply fry the ingredients then let them simmer away for a vibrant finish", says Katie.
The ingredient of Harissa and capsicum chicken with chickpea couscous
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 red capsicums, cut into 2cm pieces
- 6 chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, halved
- 2 teaspoons harissa (see notes)
- 3/4 cup (150g) couscous
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3/4 cup (60g) flaked almonds, toasted
- Handful flat-leaf parsley leaves
The instruction how to make Harissa and capsicum chicken with chickpea couscous
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, then cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until softened. Stir in capsicum and chicken, then cook for 10 minutes or until chicken is golden.
- Combine the harissa and 150ml water in a small bowl, then stir into the chicken mixture. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove chicken. Pour liquid into a blender and blend until smooth, then return to the pan with chicken. Cook over low heat for a further 10-15 minutes until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook couscous according to the packet instructions. Fluff with a fork, then season and set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a frypan over medium heat. Add chickpeas and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until golden. Add cinnamon and cumin, then season and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add lemon juice and couscous, and toss to combine, then cook for 2 minutes or until heated through. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with almonds and parsley, then serve with chicken.
Nutritions of Harissa and capsicum chicken with chickpea couscousfatContent: 1135.967 calories
saturatedFatContent: 46.2 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 7 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 105 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 17 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 83.4 grams protein
sodiumContent: 254 milligrams cholesterol