The ever-popular chow mein gets a modern update with the addition of fresh green Asian vegies and chicken thigh fillets.
The ingredient of Green vegie and chicken chow mein
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 60ml (1/4 cup) Chinese cooking wine or dry sherry
- 6 chicken thigh fillets, excess fat trimmed, thinly sliced
- 350g packet fresh egg (chow mein) noodles
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Maggi Original Seasoning sauce
- 60ml (1/4 cup) peanut oil
- 200g brussels sprouts, halved (quartered if large)
- 2 celery sticks, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1/2 green capsicum, deseeded, cut into thin strips
- 100g snow peas, thinly sliced lengthways
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Sesame seeds, toasted, to serve
- Sliced green shallot, to serve (optional)
The instruction how to make Green vegie and chicken chow mein
- Whisk together the egg white, cornflour and 1 tbs cooking wine in a bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Meanwhile, place the noodles in a large heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Set aside for 3 minutes or until softened. Drain well. Transfer to a tray lined with paper towel to dry.
- Combine the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, seasoning liquid and remaining 2 tbs cooking wine in a jug. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbs peanut oil in a wok or large frying pan over high heat. Add the noodles and toss for 2-3 minutes to coat in the oil. Spread noodles across the base and side of the wok and cook for 2-3 minutes or until crispy underneath. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add 1 tbs peanut oil to the wok. Add half the chicken and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes or until a golden crust forms. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Add the remaining 1 tbs peanut oil to the wok. Add the brussels sprouts and cook for 2 minutes or until starting to char. Add the celery and capsicum and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the snow peas and garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the chicken and soy mixture and toss for 1 minute or until well combined. Add noodles and toss until combined. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and shallot to serve.
Nutritions of Green vegie and chicken chow meinfatContent: 774.599 calories
saturatedFatContent: 27 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 6 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 76 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 51 grams protein