If youre not keen on turkey for Christmas, this roast chicken has a delicious festive stuffing and makes a fabulous main for the big event.
The ingredient of Roast chicken with pistachio and cranberry stuffing
- 2 (about 1.5kg each) whole fresh chickens
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh continental parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small brown onions, halved, finely chopped
- 75g (1/2 cup) Craisins (dried cranberries), finely chopped
- 55g (1/3 cup) unsalted pistachio kernels, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 245g (3 1/2 cups) fresh breadcrumbs (made from day-old bread)
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh continental parsley
The instruction how to make Roast chicken with pistachio and cranberry stuffing
- To make the stuffing, heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion, Craisins, pistachio and garlic and cook, stirring, for 8-10 minutes or until onion softens. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Place the pistachio mixture in a bowl. Add the breadcrumbs, egg and parsley and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 190C. Rinse chicken cavities under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towel inside and out.
- Spoon the pistachio mixture among chicken cavities. Close cavity openings with toothpicks. Tie the legs together with unwaxed white kitchen string.
- Line a large roasting pan with non-stick baking paper. Place chickens in pan and brush with oil. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Roast for 1 hour 15 minutes or until juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thighs. Cover with foil and set aside for 10 minutes to rest. Place chickens on serving platters and serve with pistachio stuffing and parsley.
Nutritions of Roast chicken with pistachio and cranberry stuffingfatContent: 873.067 calories
saturatedFatContent: 50 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 14 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 28 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 9 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 77 grams protein
sodiumContent: 332 milligrams cholesterol