Chicken adds a wonderful flavour and texture to this traditional egg and lemon soup.
The ingredient of Egg and lemon soup with chicken (Avgolemono)
- 1.25kg chicken
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 bulb garlic, halved widthways
- 1 fresh or dried bay leaf
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1/3 cup (65g) white long-grain rice
- 2 eggs
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced diagonally
The instruction how to make Egg and lemon soup with chicken (Avgolemono)
- Rinse chicken inside and out and pat dry with paper towels. Place 3.5 litres water, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaf, peppercorns and 2 teaspoons salt in a large saucepan and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Carefully add chicken to pan, breast-side down. Return to the boil and boil for 2 minutes, then remove pan from heat. Cover with a lid and set aside for 3 hours (the residual heat of the water will finish cooking the chicken). Remove chicken then strain stock through a sieve into a bowl. Place 2 litres stock in a clean saucepan (remaining stock can be refrigerated for other uses). Bring stock to the boil over high heat and simmer for 25 minutes or until reduced by 1/2.
- Meanwhile, remove skin from chicken and finely shred meat, discarding skin and bones. Place chicken in a bowl and refrigerate, covered, until required.
- When stock is reduced by 1/2, add rice then simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes or until cooked. Meanwhile, whisk eggs and lemon juice in a bowl until well combined. Whisking continuously, add 3 large ladles of hot stock to egg mixture, 1 at a time. Reduce heat to low, then return egg mixture to stock. Cook, whisking continuously, for 2 minutes or until soup is white. Do not overheat, or soup will curdle. Place small piles of chicken in the centre of warmed soup bowls then ladle soup over. Serve immediately, scattered with green onion.
Nutritions of Egg and lemon soup with chicken (Avgolemono)fatContent: