Looking for interesting ways to prepare chicken. Try this gourmet version served on a bed of creamy beetroot risotto.
The ingredient of Lemon & caraway chicken on beetroot risotto
- 1 1.5kg (size 15) chicken
- 30g butter
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced crossways
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 brown onion, halved, thickly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil, to coat
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 1bunch (about 250g) baby beetroot, roots and stems trimmed
- 1.25L (5 cups) boiling water
- 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 440g (2 cups) arborio rice
The instruction how to make Lemon & caraway chicken on beetroot risotto
- Briefly rinse the chicken cavity with cold running water. Pat the chicken dry with paper towel (both inside and out).
- Melt butter in a medium frying pan over medium-low heat until foaming. Add lemon slices and sprinkle with sugar. Cook, uncovered, turning once, for 2 minutes or until lemons are brown all over. Set aside to cool. Add the onion, garlic and caraway seeds to the pan, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the onion softens. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside for 5 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- Preheat oven to 160u00b0C. Starting from the cavity end, use your fingers to loosen the skin on the chicken breast and arrange the lemon slices, in a single layer, evenly under the skin. Fill the chicken cavity with the onion mixture.
- Use unwaxed white string to tie legs together. Brush chicken all over with a little olive oil to coat. Place, breast-side down, on a wire rack in a roasting pan. Pour water into pan. Cover tightly with foil and bake in preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, to make risotto, place the beetroot in a lightly greased roasting pan. Roast in oven with chicken for 40 minutes or until tender. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Turn the chicken over and bake, covered, for a further 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and increase oven temperature to 180u00b0C. Sprinkle salt evenly over chicken and bake for 30 minutes or until brown, and juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest part of the chicken thigh. Remove from oven and set aside for 10 minutes to rest. Remove the onion mixture from the chicken cavity.
- Meanwhile, combine the boiling water and crumbled stock cubes in a heatproof jug. Stir to combine. Don rubber gloves, peel the beetroot and place in the bowl of a food processor with 60ml (1/4 cup) of the stock mixture, and process until almost smooth. Combine beetroot puree and remaining stock mixture in a small saucepan, and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and hold at a gentle simmer. Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until it softens slightly.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until the grains are coated with oil and appear slightly glassy. Add a ladleful (about 1/2 cup) of simmering stock mixture to rice mixture and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the liquid is absorbed. Continue to add the stock a ladleful at a time, stirring until it is absorbed before adding more. This will take about 20 minutes. Once the last ladleful of liquid is absorbed, the rice should be tender but still have some bite.
- Use poultry shears to cut the chicken along each side of the backbone. Discard the backbone. Cut lengthways through the breast bone then cut each piece in half crossways. Spoon the risotto among serving plates and top with the chicken portions. Serve immediately with the onion mixture.
Nutritions of Lemon & caraway chicken on beetroot risottofatContent: 939.27 calories
saturatedFatContent: 36 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 13 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 96 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 8 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 56 grams protein
sodiumContent: 203 milligrams cholesterol