The ingredient of Old-fashioned chicken noodle soup
- 1.3kg whole chicken
- 1 leek, trimmed, halved, washed, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled, chopped
- 1 medium swede, peeled, chopped
- 100g fettuccine, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- crusty bread, to serve
The instruction how to make Old-fashioned chicken noodle soup
- Rinse chicken under cold water. Pat dry with paper towel. Trim excess fat. Place in a saucepan. Add leek, carrot, celery, peppercorns, bay leaves and garlic. Cover with cold water. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, skimming surface occasionally, for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Remove chicken. Transfer to a plate. Line a sieve with muslin or Chux cloth. Strain broth over a heatproof bowl. Discard bay leaves and peppercorns. Return vegetables and broth to pan. Add parsnip and swede. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, skimming off fat.
- Meanwhile, remove chicken skin and bones. Shred meat. Add meat and pasta to pan over medium-high heat. Cook for 10 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir in parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with bread.
Nutritions of Old-fashioned chicken noodle soupfatContent: 256.686 calories
saturatedFatContent: 5 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 2 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 17 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 5 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 33 grams protein
sodiumContent: 102 milligrams cholesterol