Making your own authentic tasting Indian chicken is easy with this simple recipe.
The ingredient of Indian-spiced chicken with coconut rice
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1.5kg chicken pieces (such as drumsticks and thigh pieces)
- 65g (1 cup) shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 270g (1 1/3 cups) Basmati rice
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, leaves picked, coarsely chopped
- Steamed spinach, to serve
The instruction how to make Indian-spiced chicken with coconut rice
- Preheat oven to 160C. Combine the ground coriander, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, salt and chilli powder in a bowl. Add chicken and turn to coat. Set aside for 15 minutes to develop flavours.
- Meanwhile, spread the coconut evenly over a baking tray. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until toasted.
- Heat half the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add half the chicken and cook, turning, for 3-4 minutes or until brown. Transfer to a large ovenproof dish with a tight-fitting lid. Repeat with remaining oil and chicken, reheating the pan between batches.
- Bake, covered, in oven for 1 1/2 hours or until the chicken is tender and falls off the bone.
- Meanwhile, place the rice in a large bowl. Cover with cold water and set aside for 20 minutes to soak. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Cook rice in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to pan. Add the coconut to the rice and stir to combine.
- Divide the rice among serving bowls. Top with spiced chicken and fresh coriander. Serve immediately with steamed spinach, if desired.
Nutritions of Indian-spiced chicken with coconut ricefatContent: 1039.411 calories
saturatedFatContent: 56 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 21 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 57 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 3 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 73 grams protein