Pressure cooker halves the cooking time for this dish featuring moist, golden chicken and spicy Spanish chorizo.
The ingredient of Saffron chicken pilaf with cucumber salad
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (about 130g) chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
- 8 (about 1.5kg) chicken thigh cutlets, skin removed
- 1 brown onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 250ml (1 cup) Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- 200g (1 cup) Basmati rice, rinsed, drained
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends trimmed, cut into 4cm lengths
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, coarsely chopped
- 250g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 shallots, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup small fresh mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
The instruction how to make Saffron chicken pilaf with cucumber salad
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker over medium-high heat. Cook chorizo, stirring, for 3 minutes or until crisp. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add half the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to the bowl with chorizo. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Add onion and celery and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until slightly soft. Return chorizo and chicken to the cooker. Add saffron and stock, and bring to a simmer. Cover and seal the cooker. Increase heat to high. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until steam escapes at a constant rate and there is a regular hissing sound. Reduce heat to low. Cook for a further 25 minutes. Release steam following manufacturers instructions. Remove lid. Use tongs to transfer chicken to a large bowl. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add rice to the chorizo mixture in the pressure cooker. Cover and seal the cooker. Increase heat to high. Cook for 5 minutes or until steam escapes at a constant rate and there is a regular hissing sound. Reduce heat to low. Cook for a further 3 minutes. Release steam following manufacturers instructions. Remove lid. Add asparagus and stir well. Cover the cooker with the lid but do not seal. Set aside for 10 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Combine cucumber, tomato, shallot, mint and lemon juice in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Remove chicken meat from bones. Add chicken to pilaf. Divide among serving bowls and serve with salad.
Nutritions of Saffron chicken pilaf with cucumber saladfatContent: 640.52 calories
saturatedFatContent: 19 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 6 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 47 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 66 grams protein