All you need is half an hour to prepare this fast and fresh chicken cabbage salad.
The ingredient of Szechuan cabbage salad with crisp chicken
- 425g savoy cabbage
- 3cm piece ginger
- 1 large clove garlic
- 2 star anise
- 2 red birds-eye chillies
- 3 chicken breasts
- 3 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, plus 1 teaspoon extra
- 150g (1 cup) cornflour
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil, plus extra, to shallow-fry
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 60ml (1/4 cup) Chinese black vinegar (see Top tips) or rice wine vinegar
- Chilli sauce, to serve
The instruction how to make Szechuan cabbage salad with crisp chicken
- Remove core from cabbage and discard. Thinly shred, then place in a bowl of iced salted water. Peel ginger, cut into julienne, then place in a bowl. Peel, then thinly slice garlic. Break star anise in half and halve chillies. Add to ginger.
- Cut tenderloins (long strips attached to underside) from chicken. Cut breasts in half widthwise, then cut thicker ends in half horizontally. Place all chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, pound until 3mm thick.
- Line a tray with baking paper. Whisk egg whites, sesame oil and 1 tablespoon soy sauce in a bowl. Place cornflour in a second bowl. Season with freshly ground black pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. Dust chicken with cornflour, shake off excess, dip in egg white mixture, then dust again with cornflour. Place on tray.
- Drain cabbage, then return to bowl. Heat oil in a large frying pan over low heat. Add ginger mixture and stir for 1 minute or until light golden. Add sugar and sesame seeds, and stir for 1 minute until golden. Add vinegar and extra 1 teaspoon soy sauce, bring to a simmer, then pour over cabbage. Toss to combine.
- Wipe pan clean, fill with 2cm oil, then heat over medium heat. Fry chicken, in 2 batches, for 1 1/2 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towel.
- Divide salad among bowls, top with chicken and serve with chilli sauce.
Nutritions of Szechuan cabbage salad with crisp chickenfatContent: 466.289 calories
saturatedFatContent: 13 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 2 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 41 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 8 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 42 grams protein
sodiumContent: 88 milligrams cholesterol