For a bowl full of goodness try this low fat, low calorie chicken and vegetable dish.
The ingredient of Grilled chicken and vegetable barley bowl
- 165g (3/4 cup) pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 400g can no-added-salt chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 80ml (1/3 cup) Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 eggplant, trimmed, cut into 1cm-thick slices
- 2 capsicums, deseeded, cut into thin wedges
- 2 zucchini, trimmed, cut into 1cm-thick slices
- 2 (200g each) chicken breast fillets
- Mixed salad leaves, including micro leaves (optional), to serve
The instruction how to make Grilled chicken and vegetable barley bowl
- Cook the barley in a large saucepan of boiling water for 25 minutes or until al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 teaspoons oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the chickpeas and stock to the pan and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Use a potato masher to mash the chickpeas, keeping some texture. Stir through 1 tbs lemon juice. Season. Cover to keep warm and set aside.
- Heat a large chargrill pan over medium- high heat. Spray the eggplant, capsicum, zucchini and chicken lightly with olive oil. Cook the chicken for 4-5 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Cook the vegetables for 2 minutes each side or until lightly charred and tender.
- Combine remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 2 teaspoons olive oil. Slice the chicken. Divide the barley, chargrilled vegetables, chicken and salad leaves among bowls. Drizzle with the dressing and top with smashed chickpeas.
Nutritions of Grilled chicken and vegetable barley bowlfatContent: 432.112 calories
saturatedFatContent: 10 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 2 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 43 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 35 grams protein