This hearty chicken soup is a fantastic low fat dinner option.
The ingredient of Chicken and barley soup with cheesy flatbreads
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large leek, trimmed, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 2 litres Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 2 desiree potatoes, skins scrubbed, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1/2 bunch silverbeet, stalks and veins removed, leaves shredded (see notes)
- 1 cup shredded skinless barbecue chicken
- 2 wholemeal pita pockets, halved
- 1/2 cup grated pizza cheese
- Extra fresh thyme leaves, to serve
The instruction how to make Chicken and barley soup with cheesy flatbreads
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add leek. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until starting to soften. Add tomato paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add thyme, barley and stock. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 40 minutes or until barley is just tender.
- Add potato. Simmer for a further 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Remove pan from heat. Stir in silverbeet and chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Stand, covered, for 5 minutes or until silverbeet is just wilted.
- Meanwhile, preheat a sandwich press (see notes). Fill pita pocket halves with cheese. Press each pita for 2 minutes or until cheese melts and bread is golden and crisp. Transfer to a board. Cut into wedges.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls. Sprinkle with extra thyme. Serve with pita wedges.
Nutritions of Chicken and barley soup with cheesy flatbreadsfatContent: 548.744 calories
saturatedFatContent: 20.6 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 6 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 59.39 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 25.6 grams protein
sodiumContent: 45 milligrams cholesterol